French Antique Ormolu Model of The Luxor Obelisk 19th C
French Antique Ormolu Model of The Luxor Obelisk 19th C
French Antique Ormolu Model of The Luxor Obelisk 19th C
French Antique Ormolu Model of The Luxor Obelisk 19th C
French Antique Ormolu Model of The Luxor Obelisk 19th C
French Antique Ormolu Model of The Luxor Obelisk 19th C

French Antique Ormolu Model of The Luxor Obelisk 19th C

19th century France

Offered by Regent Antiques

£1,575 gbp
Request Information Call Dealer
Listing Information
Views
8
Enquiries
0
Favourites
0
This is a fine large antique French Grand Tour ormolu model of The Luxor Obelisk c.1850 in date.

The obelisk is a model of The Luxor Obelisk which is over 3,000 years old and was originally situated outside the Luxor Temple, where its twin remains to this day. It first arrived in Paris on 21 December 1833, having been shipped from Luxor via Alexandria and Cherbourg and three years later, on 25 October 1836, was moved to the centre of Place de la Concorde by King Louis-Phillipe. It was given to France by Muhammad Ali Pasha, Ruler of Ottoman Egypt.

It is a pointed tall four-sided ormolu pillar which tapers to a pyramid-shaped top and sits on a brass galleried black marble base.

Its features Egyptian hieroglyph inscriptions on all four sides that commemorate the military victories of Ramesses II.

Add an elegant touch to your Grand Tour collection with this large and beautiful to obelisks.

Condition:
In excellent condition having been cleaned in our workshops, please see photos for confirmation.

Dimensions in cm:
Height 63 x Width 17 x Depth 17

Dimensions in inches:
Height 24.8 x Width 6.7 x Depth 6.7

In August 1832, the French paddle ship Sphinx sailed to Alexandria to rendezvous there with the barge Louqsor, which was to load the Luxor Obelisk and bring it to Paris. Sphinx then towed Louqsor back to France. The ships departed on 1 April 1833 and reached Toulon on 10 May. The ships arrived at Cherbourg on 12 August 1833.
The obelisk, a yellow granite column, rises 23 metres (75 ft) high, including the base, and weighs over 250 metric tons (280 short tons). It is decorated with hieroglyphs exalting the reign of the king Ramses II.

Given the technical limitations of the day, transporting it was no easy feat: The French government ordered a purpose-built seagoing lighter built by the Toulon naval yard; this 49 metres long, flat bottomed, three masted ship named the Louqsor was sailed up the Nile to Luxor where 300 workmen dug a canal to allow the ship to come close to the obelisk. The French seamen then lowered the obelisk with an array of blocks and tackles, yardarms and capstans. The re-erection of the obelisk on the Place de la Concorde during a ceremony carefully planned by King Louis-Philippe I was no mean engineering feat either. This successful French transport operation predates the eventful transport of "Cleopatra's Needle" by the British by more than thirty years.

The present-day pedestal was originally intended for an equestrian statue of King Louis XVI by Cortot, which was destroyed during the July Revolution in 1830. On the pedestal are drawn diagrams explaining the complex machinery that was used for the transportation. The obelisk is flanked on both sides by fountains constructed at the time of its erection. The original Egyptian pedestal included the statues of sixteen fully sexed baboons and was deemed too obscene for public exhibition, it is displayed in the Egyptian section of the Musée du Louvre.

Our reference: 09027
Dimensions
Height 63.00 cm (24.80 inches)
Width 17.00 cm (6.69 inches)
Depth 17.00 cm (6.69 inches)
Stock Code
09027
Regent Antiques

Regent Antiques
Manor Warehouse
318 Green Lanes
London
N4 1BX

Contact Details
+44 (0)20 8802 3900
-
+44 (0)7836 294074
-
Email Dealer More Contact Details
Opening Hours
Contacts
View Dealer Location
Member
Members of
View Full Details